What is Prevent?
Prevent is part of the UK’s counter-terrorism strategy referred to as The Contest framework, which consists of the four ‘P’ work strands:
- Prevent: to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism
- Pursue: to stop terrorist attacks
- Protect: to strengthen our protection against a terrorist attack
- Prepare: to mitigate the impact of a terrorist attack
What do we do?
In Prevent, we safeguard and support members of our community to stop them becoming radicalised or supporting violent extremism. We have three objectives which we work towards:
- Tackle the causes of radicalisation and respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism
- Safeguard and support those most at risk of radicalisation through early intervention, identifying them and offering support
- Enable those who have already engaged in terrorism to disengage and rehabilitate
Communities defeat terrorism and with the enduring terrorist threat, it is now more important than ever that everyone plays their part in tackling terrorism. Your actions could save lives.
That’s why Action Counters Terrorism (ACT) is encouraging communities across the country to help the police tackle terrorism and save lives by reporting suspicious behaviour and activity.
Information and Support
If you are worried about a friend of family member, call the ACT Early Support Line on 0800 011 3764
Visit ACT Early website for further information www.actearly.uk
In an emergency, dial 999